Face mask packs are given to family members according to the number of people over the age of 15. Each person or family is responsible for washing reusable fabric facemasks.
– In accordance with the recommendation of the Government and the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), everyone is primarily required to acquire their face masks for themselves. Still, the city of Vaasa makes sure that masks are available free of charge, especially for those who cannot afford to buy face masks for themselves. I appeal to the people of Vaasa to remember that the free distribution of masks is intended specifically for those individuals and families for whom it is not possible to acquire masks with their own funds, says the director for Social Work and Family Services Erkki Penttinen.
On 13 August 2020, the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health and the Ministry of Finance issued a recommendation on ensuring access to face masks for people on low incomes. According to the recommendation, municipalities ensure that face masks are easily available and free of charge within the scope of the recommendation.
A face mask is one way to prevent the spread of coronavirus infections. THL recommends using a face mask on public transport, on the way to a coronavirus test and while waiting for the test result, when returning to Finland from a risk area and moving to quarantine, and if it is absolutely necessary when moving outside the home during the quarantine period. The face mask can be used in all situations where avoiding close contact is not possible.
Distribution points for face masks:
Adult Social Work Services (Aikuisten sosiaalityö): Korsholmanpuistikko 44, 1 floor.
26-28 August 2020 (Week 35): Wed.-Fri. Time: 13-16
From 31 August 2020 (Week 36): Mon, Wed, Fri. Time: 14-16
Citizen Services (Kansalaisinfo): Main library, Kirjastokatu 13
26-28 August 2020 (Week 35): Wed.-Fri. Time: 10-12
From 31 August 2020 (Week 36): Mon.-Fri. Time: 10-12
Food aid distribution points in Vaasa only for those who collect food aid
Former Steiner school, Kauppapuistikko 22: Monday Time: 14:00
Elim church, Palosaarentie 92: Time: 14:00
Ristikka, Jyrsijänkatu 2: Wednesday Time: 14:00
Please note the basic guidelines for preventing the spread of coronavirus:
- always keep a distance of 1-2 metres whenever possible
- make sure you maintain proper hand hygiene
- if you need to cough, cough on your sleeve or into a disposable tissue
- avoid touching the face
- stay at home, even if you only have mild symptoms of a respiratory infection
- wear a face mask when moving on public transportation if you are over 15 years old
- wear a face mask in other situations where it is difficult to keep a safe social distance