This year, the theme for the National Cycling Week is “Cycle parking – the right solution in the right place”. We focus on cycle parking, its quality, quantity, location, and usability. The week will kick off with the official opening of the new bike shed at the Travel Centre on Friday 5 May.
– The bike shed has been in test use since the beginning of the year, but now it will be officially opened. The new Cycling City branding of Vaasa will also be unveiled! This brand is reflected in the bike shed’s eye-catching decals. In the future, the same look will be used on signposts for new cycle paths, says Samuli Huusko, Walking and Cycling Project Engineer at the city of Vaasa.
The opening of the bike shed will be organised by Cyklos, the supplier of the bike shed, and Pyöräilykuntien verkosto ry. The opening event of the Cycling Week and a webinar on the theme “Getting bike parking right — the opening of the Vaasa Bike Shed” will also be broadcast from the venue.
Cycling day for the whole family takes over Vaasa’s Market Square
The cycling week continues on Saturday with a Cycling ay for the whole family at the Market Square. During the day, you can test the pump track and trial bikes, compete against the American football players of Wasa Royals on the skill track, and learn about old retro bikes.
– The cycling day for the whole family is all about having a fun but safe day out on the bike. You should come with your own bike, but you can also, for example, test different bikes at local bike shops,” says Huusko.
As last year, bike trial demonstrations will take place at the market over the course of the day, led by top bike trial athlete Eemeli Kanervo. The aim of bike trials is to cross the most difficult obstacles possible on a bike without touching the ground with your feet or other body parts.
The Trail Riders Vaasa mountain biking club and the international charity project Team Rynkeby will be there to talk to people about their activities. Team Rynkeby is also currently looking for cyclists for next year’s bike ride from Finland to Paris!
Vaasa Bestis will organise a service point at the market where you can get your bike ready for the summer. In addition, Vaasan Vesi will provide a water point where you can wash your bike with Bestis cleaning products.
Cycling to Strömsö, lavvu of Höstvesi and work
There will be several different cycling events throughout the week. On Sunday, 7 May, we cycle to lavvu of Höstvesi. At the lavvu, the city of Vaasa will offer coffee and juice, and Vaasan Latu (a local outdoor activities club) will sell sausages and buns.
Tuesday, 9 May, is the traditional Bike to Work Day. The city will provide cyclists with breakfast from 6.30 am at the north end of the Vaasa church. There will be enough breakfast for the first 200 cyclists to arrive! Representatives of the city of Vaasa will also be there to talk about the promotion of cycling in the coming years.
Vaasa’s cycling week will end with the Strömsö Open Doors on Saturday, 13 May, from 11—15.00. In line with the theme of the cycling week, the doors of Strömsö will be open only to those arriving by bike. The parking lot and the service road will be closed to heavy traffic.
– Last year, we organised a shuttle bus service to Strömsö, and this year, we want to encourage everyone to cycle to the venue. What could be better than a springy bike ride to Strömsö,” says Huusko.
You can also rent a bike if you don’t have your own yet. Salama Bikes, Cycli and Vaasan maastopyörävuokraus offer -20% off bike rental during Cycling Week.
Full programme of the Cycling Week
Friday 5 May
- Opening of the bike shed in Matkakeskus 8.30—10.30. Opening event and webinar of the national cycling week with the theme “Getting bike parking right — opening of the Vaasa bike shed”. The event is organised by Cyklos and Pyöräilykuntien verkosto ry.
- The local youth houses’ cycling event at all five youth houses in Vaasa from 17—21, including the Vähänkyrö youth house Kyrölä. Free chocolate bars for those arriving by bike! Come and explore the youth houses and spend a relaxed evening with other young people! The event is aimed at 13—18-year-olds.
Saturday 6 May
- A day of cycling for the whole family, Vaasa’s Market Square 10.00—15.00
- Bike trial school testing point and demonstrations by the bike trial athlete Eemeli Kanervo
- a skill track and a pump track
- Presentation of Vaasa’s retro bikes and a tour at 15.00. The destination of the tour is the Vaasa Car and Engine Museum, where you can attend a guided tour and get a cup of coffee, both included in the €10 entrance fee.
- The mountain biking club Trail Riders Vaasa. Opportunity to join a group ride starting at 11.00. Open to everyone!
- Charity project Team Rynkeby: cycle from Finland to Paris!
- Bike shops present their collections. Including:
- Salama Bikes & Wasa Bike Service
- Vaasan maastopyörävuokraus
- Vaasa Bestis service and washing point
- Red Cross first aid and a teddy bear hospital
- Youth information service Reimari presents the library’s cargo bike
- Liikenneturva’s road safety point
- Youth council and City of Vaasa points
- Players from the Wasa Royals American football team will also be there. Test your skills against the players on the track!
Sunday 7 May
- An outdoorsy day at Pilvilampi. Cycle to lavvu of Höstvesi! Coffee and juice from 10 to 15. Buns and sausages for sale!
Tuesday 9 May
- Cycle to Work Day
- The city will offer breakfast for the cyclists starting at 6.30 at the north end of the Vaasa church. There will be enough breakfast for 200 people. Croissants and vegan smoothies served!
Saturday 13 May
- To Strömsö by bike
- Open Day and a guided tour of the Strömsö Villa 11–15.
- Access by bike only! Please leave your car at home.
- Pop up café organised by Wasa Royals in the parking lot. Waffles and sausages and more! Proceeds from the café will go to the Royals juniors.
- Retro bikes will pedal from the Vaasa Car and Engine Museum via Vaasa Market Square to Strömsö. Departure from the Car and Engine Museum at 13.00 and from the Statue of Liberty at 13.15. Feel free to return at your own schedule.