Vaasa has excellent transportation connections, and it is easy to reach us regardless of where you are coming from. The airport is only 10 minutes from the center of Vaasa, and the railway station is located in the city center. The daily ferry connection to Umeå in Sweden provides a perfect opportunity to visit two countries and two cities, even on the same day.
Travel by car to the Vaasa region.
If you’re traveling with your own car, the Vaasa region is easily accessible regardless of where you’re coming from – and for the most part, the road is straight. Here are some examples of travel times to Vaasa:
- Tampere to Vaasa, along E12: approximately 3.5 hours
- Turku to Vaasa, along E8: approximately 4.5 hours
- Pori to Vaasa, along E8: approximately 2.5 hours
- Jyväskylä to Vaasa, along road 18: approximately 4 hours
- Oulu to Vaasa, along E8: approximately 4.5 hours
Take breaks at places that offer interesting stories.
Even though the travel time to Vaasa is short, it’s worth reserving some extra time along the way. Along the route, you’ll find many of the region’s most interesting attractions – hidden gems that are easily missed if you don’t take the time.
Combine the best of the region into your trip to Vaasa, like this:
- If you’re coming from the south along E8, turn into Närpes for shopping locally produced food, gather inspiration for “hygge” in Korsnäs, or fall in love with archipelago life on Bergö, an island in Malax municipality.
- If you’re traveling from e.g. Helsinki or Tampere via E12, you’ll encounter Laihia, a pioneer in ecological thinking, or you can take a detour via Storkyro, a treasure trove of stories and a world-famous gin distillery.
- If you’re coming from the north along E8, marvel at the old industrial environment at Kimo Bruk and the stone park in Oravais, and shop for locally produced products for your picnic basket.
- Korsholm, surrounding Vaasa, welcomes visitors regardless of the chosen route. Pure nature, tranquility, healthy food, and places where you can pamper yourself – sounds like a vacation, doesn’t it?
Get around in the Vaasa region.
In Vaasa, they say you can reach everything in 5 minutes. Within just a few kilometers, you can swiftly move from one atmosphere to another: the transition from urban city culture to the tranquility of nature happens in a short walk. If you extend your travel times to 15-20 minutes and move around by bike or car, you can quickly reach entirely new surroundings and attractions.
Explore Vaasa on foot.
The blocks in central Vaasa are filled with fine architectural history, and cultural attractions have many interesting stories to tell. Experience the city in the footsteps of architects from different eras or delve into the world of past cultural influencers. Choose a guided walk or venture out to discover Vaasa on foot on your own. Read more!
Enjoy the region from the bicycle saddle.
When you want to venture outside the city center, it’s worth renting a bike. A bike ride to Strömsö is a pleasant day trip, and in the surrounding municipalities, there are plenty of attractions for a longer journey. The beautiful nature and the tranquility of the countryside are surprisingly close. Read more!
By car, you get the most out of the region.
If you want to reach farther from the Vaasa center and visit more attractions in the region, the transportation choice is either your own car or a rental car. The Ostrobothnia coastal region offers many exotic destinations – worth an adventure of its own.
Travel comfortably by train, bus, plane, or ferry.
Vaasa has excellent transportation connections. By train, you can reach us quickly, like clockwork (travel times, for example, from Seinäjoki 1 hour, from Tampere 2.5 hours, from Helsinki and Jyväskylä 4 hours, and from Oulu 5 hours), and even faster by plane (from Helsinki 50 minutes and Stockholm 1 hour). Wasaline makes the journey from Umeå in only about 4 hours.