Hello, young resident of Vaasa! What would you like to change about this city? Should the cycling paths be improved? Does the public transport work as it should? Are there enough recreational activities?
The members of the youth council make the voice of young people heard, taking their ideas and wishes to the city’s policymakers. In addition, the youth council has a yearly budget whose funds the council can allocate for creating interesting activities for the city’s young people and for the operating grants awarded to local youth groups.
The youth council elections are held every two years. A representative of the youth council has the right to attend and speak at city council meetings as well as at the meetings of the city’s five boards.
The tasks of the youth council members
- to make the voice of young people heard
- to take a stand on current issues
- to make initiatives and statements
Youth council elections
The youth council is elected by the city council for a two-year term. The first elected youth council was founded on the 1st of January 2017.
The current youth council is elected for the period 1 January 2023 – 31 December 2024.
- The elections are held in all the largest middle schools and secondary education institutions.
- You can stand as a candidate for the youth council and vote in the elections also at the youth houses Kultsa and Ristikka.
- A total of 22 full members and 10 substitute members are elected for the council.
- Candidates are elected by the number of votes they poll.
- All Vaasa residents between 13 to 20 years of age can stand as candidates and vote in the elections.
The Youth Council Board and representatives 1 January 2023 – 31 December 2024
The Youth Council Board
The chair: Aaro Helo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
I vice-chair: Simon Hellbom (influencing)
II vice-chair: Olli Svenfelt (operations)
III vice-chair: Taleen Saeed (communications)
General secretary: Oskari Koskimäki
Finance secretary: Saara Valkama
Communications secretary: Sauli Syri
Yara Abdul Menem
1. Pihla Vikman
2. Saara Helo
3. Joona Vainio
4. Veera Hinkkanen
5. Santiago Laitinen
6. Sabrina Hirsi Mohammed
7. Alisha Kubal
8. Liam Gädda
9. Nooa Pörtfors
10. Rebecca Mäki
Presenters: the Chair, the Vice-Chairs, the Youth affairs Coordinator and the Youth Secretary
Representative of the City Council: Lotta Alhonnoro
Calendar of meetings in 2023
- 29th of January
- 16th of February
- 16th of March
- 13th of April
- 11th of May
- 17th of August
- 14th of September
- 12th of October
- 16th of November
- 14th of December
The meetings take place on Thursdays at 5.30 pm at Hallintotalo (Administration Building), at the City Council Meeting Hall, on Vaasanpuistikko 10, 2nd floor (or on Teams).
Minutes of the meetings
The minutes are available in Finnish and Swedish only.