Grain storages of the crown were built during the Russian rule during the 1800s. The storages were used to store crown’s tax paid as crop. The building is designed by C.A. Setterberg and was finished in 1868.
Inside the tiled outer shell is a wooden inner building, which guaranteed that the grain stayed dry, free of pests, and was not stolen. The building was used by the military district of Vaasa from 1920s all the way to the early 1990s. The Finnish Defence forces later gave away its most impractical buildings and Kruununmakasiini became property of the city of Vaasa.