Patteriniemi was part of the city defence during the Crimean war during 1853–1856. To defend the passage of the Vanha Vaasa canal, the Russian soldiers built horseshoe-shaped stone barriers, batteries for the artillery.
When entering the cape, a stone embankment was made in the sea as a barrier to sailing and to protect against any attacks coming from the sea. During the Autumn of 1855, the bourgeois of Vaasa had to take turns in the artillery guard. English ships sailed along the shoreline, and for instance the Palosaari harbour got attacked by the Royal Navy. Due to the land uplift, the embankment can clearly be seen during low tide.