Article categories: News
The 105th Anniversary of the Homecoming of the Jaegers in Vaasa from 24 to 25 February
The Defence Forces will celebrate the 105th Anniversary of the Homecoming of the Jaegers in Vaasa from 24 to 25 February 2023. The festivities programme includes a review of troops, a pass in review, an equipment display and a concert.
Having undertaken military training in Germany from 1915 to 1918, the Jaegers built up the foundation for the establishing of the modern Finnish Defence Forces. They represented a significant number of officers who served in command duties during the Winter and Continuation Wars and the Lapland war. Returning from training, the Jaegers arrived in Vaasa in February 1918.
The review of troops will take place at the Vaasa Market Square and the pass in review on the Vaasanpuistikko Esplanade with its marching direction towards Sisäsatama. In addition to the troops marching on foot, a motorised detachment from Pori Brigade will participate in the pass in review. The troops will be reviewed and the pass in review received by Commander of the Finnish Army, Lieutenant General Pasi Välimäki. The parade troops will be commanded by Commander of Pori Brigade, Brigadier General Vesa Valtonen. The field devotional will be held by Senior Chaplain Risto Katila from Pori Brigade. The music will be performed by the National Defence Training Association‘s Pohjanmaa Band.
The Finnish Defence Forces troops participating in the parade will comprise Pori Brigade’s battalion-level units upholding the Jaeger heritage and traditions: Pohjanmaa Jaeger Battalion, Satakunta Jaeger Battalion, Satakunta Artillery Regiment, Satakunta Engrineer and Signals Battalion and Varsinais-Suomi Logistics Battalion. In addition to the troops of Pori Brigade, the Pohjanmaa Local Defence Company consisting of reservists, a detachment of Finnish and German reservist organisations and the massed standards of national defence organisations will take part in the parade.
The festivities also comprise cooperation of Finnish and German reservist organisations. The National Defence Training Association, NDTA will celebrate the 105 years of training exchange and organise, together with German reservist organisations, training programmes related to modern jaeger training and internationalisation.
The 105th Anniversary of the Homecoming of the Jaegers will be organised in cooperation between the Defence Forces, the 27th Jaeger Battalion Heritage Association, the National Defence Training Association and the City of Vaasa. You can follow the festivities also through social media with #jääkärit105.
Welcome to join us – there is no entrance fee to the events!
The 105th Anniversary events in Vaasa:
- Fri 24 Feb at 18.00 NDTA’s Pohjanmaa Band’s Church Concert in Vaasa Church
- Sat 25 Feb at 9.00–12.00 Equipment display on the Vaasa Garrison field
- Sat 25 Feb at 11.45 The Lapland Air Command will perform a flypast. A hornet fighter jet will fly over Vaasa’s Statue of Liberty.
- Sat 25 Feb at 12.00 Review of troops at the Vaasa Market Square
- Sat 25 Feb at 12.45 Pass in review from the Vaasa Market Square to Sisäsatama by Vaasanpuistikko-Rantakatu-Sisäsatama
- Sat 25 Feb at 14.30 Wreath laying ceremony at the Jaeger Statue.
The parade will affect traffic, parking and bus transportation in Vaasa The public is requested to arrive in good time before the parade begins. Vehicle traffic will be controlled by police and military police.
- The parade troops’ marching route Ratakatu – Kauppapuistikko – Market Square will be closed to other traffic between 11.00–11.45.
- The parade troops’ marching route Market Square – Pitkäkatu – Vaasanpuistikko (up to Raastuvankatu) will be closed to other traffic between 12.30–13.00. In addition, vehicle traffic on Vaskiluoto Bridge up to the Tropiclandia intersection will be closed between 12.45–13.15.
- Vehicles will not be allowed access to the Vaasa Market Square between 11.00–13.00.
- From Kirkkopuistikko, only right turns into Vaasanpuistikko to the direction of Kokkola will be allowed between 8.00–15.00. Access of vehicles to this section will be completely closed between 12.40–13.30.
- Restrictions will involve the northern entry of Toriparkki between 11.15–11.45 and the southern entry between 12.30–13.00.
- The parade troops will dismount on Ratakatu at the Main Library. The section of Ratakatu between Pitkäkatu and Museokatu will be reserved for the Defence Forces between klo 11.00–11.45.
- The parade troops motorised detachment’s service area will be situated on Kesäpolku in Vaskiluoto, in front of Tropiclandia. The area will be reserved for the Defence Forces between 8.00–14.00.
- The Garrison Field will be reserved for the Defence Forces from 13.00 on 24 Feb to 13.00 on 25 Feb.
- On Ratakatu, the parking lot between the Main Library and the Wärtsilä workshop area will be reserved for the Defence Forces on 25 Feb between 11.00–12.00.
- The Alatori parking spaces will not be available from 19.00 on 24 Feb to 13.00 on 25 Feb. Areas under restrictions will be camera recorded by the Defence Forces.
- The Vaasanpuistikko parking spaces will not be available between Raastuvankatu – Koulukatu from 20.00 on 24 Feb to 13.30 on 25 Feb. Areas under restrictions will be camera recorded by the Defence Forces.
- Buses will run on a diverted route to the city centre between 12.00–13.00.
- Buses 2,5,6 and 30 will take a diverted route after Maasilta via Asemakatu – Rauhankatu – and resume their own route.
- Buses 7 and 8 will run directly from Konepajankatu to Hietasaarenkatu. From 12.00 to 13.00, bus stops Vuorikatu 7 and Kauppapuistikko / Kirjastokatu will not be served.