Article categories: Archive News
The City of Vaasa offers experiences for students in September
During Week 38, the City of Vaasa will offer students in higher education the opportunity to get to know the services offered by the city for free or at a discount price with a student card. The Vaasa City Orchestra, Vaasa City Theatre (kaupunginteatteri), Vaasa City Museums and Vaasa Swimming Hall will be participating in the benefit week.
The City of Vaasa wants to welcome students to Vaasa through the Vaasa <3 Students benefit week. During the benefit week, 19-25 September, students will have the opportunity to get to know the services offered by the city for free or at a reasonable discount by showing their student card. With the benefit week, it is hoped that students will become more familiar with their new hometown.
– We offer all university and students in higher education free admission to the swimming hall and the swimming hall’s gym for a week, as well as to all the city museums that have an exhibition during the benefit week. In addition to this, the City Theatre (kaupunginteatteri) and the City Orchestra offer great discounts for their performances held during the benefit week. By showing your student card, you can go swimming and visit the museum every single day, encourages Director of Education and Culture service Christina Knookala.
Exercise and culture increase happiness
In Vaasa there are approximately 13,000 students in higher education, and Vaasa is one of the largest student cities in Finland relative to its population. The recurring themes of the City of Vaasa’s strategy for the coming years, i.e., happiness and wellbeing, are meant to be seen in the lives of students as well.
– It is important for us that our residents are happy. Since exercise and cultural events increase happiness, we wanted to lower the threshold for students to find the sports and cultural services offered by the city. At the same time, we also want to promote the holding power of the city. Students are important to us, and we hope that as many as possible would get a job and stay here permanently after their studies, explains City of Vaasa’s Communications Manager Leena Forsén.
Students have the opportunity to learn about culture and sports services
Those participating in the benefit week include Vaasa City Theatre (kaupunginteatteri), Vaasa City Orchestra, Vaasa City Museums and Vaasa Swimming Hall. Due to the diverse array of activities on offer, students can get to know the city’s services comprehensively during the week.
Students have free entry to Vaasa’s swimming hall and the swimming hall’s gym during the entire benefit week when the swimming hall is open to the public.
Among the museums in the City of Vaasa, the Tikanoja art Museum, Ostrobothnian museum and Vaasa Art Gallery are included. Students have the opportunity to get to know the selection of museums for free by showing their student card. The museums are open during the benefit week normally from Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 – 17:00. The following exhibitions are open in the museums:
· Tikanoja Art Museum: At the Stage
· Ostrobothnian Museum: Symbols of Power and Wealth
· Vaasan Art Gallery: You’ve Changed
Vaasa City Theatre (kaupunginteatteri) offers students tickets to the musical West Side Story at a student discount price. During the benefit week, the ticket price is €30. Tickets can be bought from Netticket as long as tickets are available or from the theatre box office at tel. 063253961. During Week 38 there are performances on Thursday, 22 September at 13:00 and on Saturday 24 September at 13:00 and 19:00.
The Vaasa City Orchestra is performing at the Ritz Theatre at 15:00 on 24 September. Tickets for their Chaplin: The Gold Rush concert are on offer at a reduced student price. During the benefit week, the ticket price is €4. You can buy tickets at Netticket as long as tickets are available.