– We received a great number of ideas and are grateful for each and every one! It was especially pleasing that we also received proposals from children as well as in English. We selected 10 finalists from the proposals. In our selections, we emphasised the feasibility of the idea, the budget, how the people of Vaasa could participate in the implementation of the idea as well as how it would make them happy, says district service manager Suvi Aho.
The goal of participatory budgeting is that city residents participate in the development of their own environment and highlight ways in which public funds can be used.
– None of the ideas we receive goes to waste, as they are passed on to the divisions for development work. Many ideas were clearly intended as feedback about an already existing service rather than a new idea. Feedback should be given through the feedback.vaasa.fi service all year round. I hope that everyone will find their favourite among the finalists and give it their vote along with a small justification for it, says Aho.
Many ideas were clearly intended as feedback about an already existing service rather than a new idea. Feedback should be give through the feedback.vaasa.fi service all year round.
In 2020, the winning entry was for cherry trees, which were planted in a new park called Kirsikkapuisto on the shores of the bay known as Onkilahti. Last year’s winning proposal was to plant a flower meadow in Vaskiluoto.
Vote for your favourite idea until 21 September!
You can vote online for your favourite idea until 21 September at www.vaasa.fi/en/participatory-budgeting/
You can vote for the winner from among the following proposals:
- A permanent sales booth by the waterfront trail
- An open-air swimming spot near the city centre
- From a nature trail to an experience track
- An Idea living room for the park
- Agility obstacles for dog parks
- Toys for daycare centres
- Public fruit and berry garden
- A music tree by the shore
- Rejuvenation of the arboretum
- Reflection benches for the waterfront trail
A Vaasa-themed prize draw will be held among voters who leave their contact information.
The winning proposal will be announced during Vaasa’s anniversary celebration on 2 October, and the implementation of their idea will be followed on Vaasa’s social media channels.