Skip navigation
Nurse measures the length of the child

Children’s illnesses, medication and accidents

The best place for a child to be when they are ill is at home. A sick child should not be brought to a care facility and it is a good policy to notify the child’s early childhood education centre that the child has fallen ill.

If the child falls ill at a care facility during the day, the staff will inform the child’s guardian(s). Therefore, it is important that the child’s guardian(s) has/have provided the early childhood education centre with up-to-date contact details.

After an illness, the child should remain at home for another fever-free / symptom-free day, so that the child has had enough time to recover and be able to fully participate in the activities of the care facility. This also avoids the spread of infectious diseases. In the case of a highly contagious disease, such as norovirus, it is recommended that other children in the family also stay at home.

Information on how sick leave affects client fees can be found on the client fees pages.

Medication in early childhood education

As a general rule, staff should not give any medication to the child at a care centre. The responsibility for medication is always the responsibility of the guardian(s) and the child should be given the medication needed at home.

The Guardian(s) should inform the staff if the child has a medical condition that requires urgent medication even during the day while the child is at the care facility. Such diseases include asthma, severe allergies, diabetes or epilepsy. In such cases, a separate agreement will be made on the medication to be administered, in which the dosage and treatment of the medication will be agreed. Staff administering medication must have a valid medical permit to provide such treatment.

If the child needs temporary medication due to an illness, such as antibiotics or eye drops, the guardian(s) should request long-acting medication that does not need to be given during the day while the child is at the care facility. If such medication is not available, then the guardian(s) should bring the necessary medicines in the original packaging so that the name, strength, dosage and name of the child can be read. The instructions for use of the drug should also be included.


Safety is constantly emphasised at all early childhood education centres. Unfortunately, accidents do occasionally happen.

When a child has an accident, the staff will provide the necessary care and first aid and will inform the guardian(s) at the latest when the child is picked up to go home. If the staff has determined that an accident requires a visit to a doctor, then the guardian(s) will be contacted immediately after the accident. In life-threatening injuries, the staff will order an ambulance, and a staff member known to the child will accompany the child if a guardian is unable to come to the scene.

After first aid has been given, the responsibility for the care of the injuries and doctor’s visits always lies with the child’s guardian(s).

The staff will fill in a written accident report for any accident, even if the accident does not require medical attention. On the basis of the accident report, if necessary and depending on the nature of the accident, a claim to the insurance company will be made. If a claim is made to the insurance company, written information will be sent to the guardian(s) at home. Staff must be informed about medical visits in order to make a claim.

The City of Vaasa has insured early childhood education with a voluntary accident insurance at Pohjola Vakuutus Oy (insurance number 16-717-955-5). Further information on the claim procedure can be obtained directly from the insurance company. See contact information and Pohjola Vakuutus Oy’s accident guidelines at this link.

Certificate of Insurance 

If the child needs medical or nursing care, the healthcare institution will require a certificate of insurance, which can be requested from the staff. It is a good idea to have your certificate of insurance with you during your first visit. If this is not possible, it should be reported to the healthcare institution that the accident occurred at an early childhood education centre and, if necessary, submit the certificate of insurance to the healthcare institution afterwards.

Notice! Certificate of insurance is valid only in a public hospital/clinic. If you or the child´s guardian visits a private hospital/clinic for treatment without contacting the Health Advisor service at Pohjola Vakuutus Oy, guardian will first need to pay for the treatment yourself.

Accident cases in early childhood education are handled by Office Secretary Jari Mäenpää (06) 325 3352 and Administrative Secretary Katri Kannasto (06) 325 2628.