There are fantastic cultural attractions in the Vaasa region, full of exciting stories of the past. The region’s museums and monuments recall both daily life and major turning points in history.
Travel back in time or taste modern art at the museums
Vaasa City museums present the best for the summer. In the rich selection of exhibitions, valuable objects and emotional drawings, everyone will find something interesting. Familiarize yourself with the entire range here.
- At the Museum of Ostrobothnia you can travel back to the time of the knights and swords. The exhibition Symbols of Power and Wealth, is based on the artifact collections of antique dealer and expert Peter Mustonen and include historic weapons, armor, protective gear, and jewelry from the Viking warriors. | Museokatu 3, Vaasa | Website
- Markku Hakuri (b. 1946) and Jan Kenneth Weckman (b. 1946) joint exhibition The Magic Mountain is displayed in the Kuntsi Museum of Modern Art. The basic idea of the exhibition is a dialogue between two artists and a mutual exchange of ideas about literature, visual arts and social global upheavals. | Sisäsatama, Vaasa | Website
- The artist Erika Adamsson’s (1973) solo exhibition at the Tikanoja Art Museum has as theme nostalgia. | Hovioikeudenpuistikko 4, Vaasa | Website
- Visual artist Kukka-Maria Rosenlund’s solo exhibition at Vaasa City Art Gallery is based on photographs and sculptures. | Vaasan kaupungintalo | Senaatinkatu 1 D, Vaasa | Website
- The Museum of Old Vaasa is located in the Wasastjerna House, in the city quarter known as Old Vaasa. You can learn about the history of Vaasa before the fire of 1852, which destroyed most of the city as it was then. | Kauppiaankatu 10, Vaasa | Website
A color explosion
A different kind of art can be seen in Graffitilandia located in the old amusement park in Vaasa. This street art stage reopens in May.
Vehicles in all shapes and colors
Vaasa Car and Motor Museum is Finland’s largest private car museum. Here, surely everyone will find something that arouses interest – not only those who are interested in cars and engines. Or how about miniature models of airplanes, motorcycles, all kinds of engine power and an old-fashioned shop and garage.
Exhibitions and art lending
The Vaasa Artists’ Guild is an association for professional artists in the Vaasa region. The association promotes visual art in the Vaasa area. Here you can also lend the art of the members of the Vaasa Artists’ Guild, and the Black Wall Gallery shows a new exhibition every month.
Join us on musical walk in the forest and the fields!
Korsholm Music Festival celebrates its 40th year of chamber music and takes you to chanting forests and talking trees during the four seasons of the year. Composer of the year is Minna Leinonen from Finland.
Korsholm music festival 27.7.–4.8.2022 | Buy tickets!
The buildings in Vaasa radiate the dignity of having been the capital of Finland
Central Vaasa is filled with fine architectural history and the buildings have many interesting stories to tell. Many buildings are open to visitors because there are museums, galleries, shops or restaurants in them. Read more!
Delicious portions in a fantastic environment
Villa Sandviken in Vaasa is filled with atmosphere, beautiful patina from ancient times and fascinating flavors where traditional cooking methods meet new spices. In addition to being one of Vaasa’s oldest buildings, Sandviks Villan is also considered one of Finland’s first summer villas. The park that surrounds the building began to take shape as early as the 1830s and is still popular today as a walking area and party and event venue.
A piece of old Vaasa
The city of Vaasa, which was founded in the 17th century, was almost completely destroyed in a fire in 1852. It was decided to build the new city on its current site about 7 kilometers away. The fire spared, the Wasastjerna House, which functions as the Old Vaasa Museum, and the Court of Appeal, which later became Korsholm’s Church.
An invitation back to the roots of the theater
Vaasa Finnish City Theater (Vaasan kaupunginteatteri) celebrates 80th anniversary the 2022-2023 season, with the theme “roots”. The autumn opens with the great musical West Side Story, which is a party with great emotions, wonderful music and wild dance. The cheeky and fast-paced farce “Puhtaana käteen” comes to life in the autumn darkness. The classic saga “Koivu ja tähti” is told through dance and physical theater, edited by Carl Knif. Come and let the stories seduce you!
Passionate performances by the region’s amateur theatres are available all year round. Find information on upcoming shows
Events full of heart
The Vaasa region is full of events of all sizes to suit all preferences. Many events have resulted from the passion and enterprise of their organisers. There is a strong spirit of volunteering in the region. Check out the event calendar!
Experience a wide range of music and dance pavilions
Live music in the Vaasa region is just as diverse and full of personality as the region itself. How about a concert in a building that is over a century old? Or a shop that transforms into a concert venue in the evenings?
You can still see dancers in bell-shaped skirts at the Molpe dance pavilion, the Kalliojärvi and Pukkilansaari
dance pavilions and the Fagerö and Åminne folk parks.
Sleep well within walking distance to all the sights of the city center
Stay comfortably in the atmospheric rooms of Hotel Scandic Vaasa, very close to the train station. With the pedestrian zone just around the corner, the hotel is an excellent starting point for a pleasant city break, with visits to all central sights. The extensive breakfast buffet provides the legs with the extra boost they need to cope with the shopping trips.